justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

In my 2011 Honda CR-V last night the battery in key was dead

Customer Question

In my 2011 Honda CR-V last night the battery in key was dead so when the alarm went off I couldn't stop it! We tried to turn anti theft off and now it won't turn over but AAA says the battery is fine. I see the green key flashing but can't figure out how to fix it. I am two and a half hours from home and can't go to a dealer on a Sunday. Any suggestions for fixing myself?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yes me yes. The battery was fine and he jumped it just on case
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: He took the battery plugs off for 20 minutes for the hard reset me I turned the wheel hard which someone suggested online. Not a lot of help on google outside of that
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The battery in my key fab is dead so we went to cvs to get a new battery but they didn't sell the 1016 Would thy fix it
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 7 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I service only Honda/Acura models 5 days a week so I know the brand well. AS I understand your question you are saying that the engine will not spin over, but the battery is good. Is that correct? If so, when you try to spin the engine over do the dash lights dim, or do they stay on strong and bright? Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My 12 year old and I stopped for gas. Stupidly I threw the keys in the car with him and locked him in. When I came back and he unlocked the car, the alarm went off. They battery in the key fab is dead so I couldn't turn the alarm/horn off . A police officer opened the key and suggested I go to Cvs and buy a new battery for the key fab. Of course they don't have the 1016 it takes. So everything I opened the door horn goes off. So a guy there tried to help me awhile I waited for aaa because the battery light comes on but won't turn over. He tests the battery and then I notice that small green key. When I googled that it talks about Immobilizer. I live 2 1/2 hours away and am currently in a cheap hotel trying to figure out how to fix this on a Sunday since dealers aren't open. Is it that green key and how do I reset it myself!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
now I know if you out the key in the door it disables the alarm also. That wasn't published online and probably wouldn't be where I am now
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
But my diagnosis is all Google and assumptions I guess

If the immobilizer system is preventing the engine from starting will will still spin over, just not fire up. Is the engine spinning over when you turn the key to start or is there no action at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
engine is spinning but won't turn over and then the battery light them comes on and the green key light on dash. We left the car at cvs just trying to figure it out before my son wakes up. Asa said the battery is fine

And as the engine is spinning over the green key light is flashing on the dash the whole time you are trying to start the engine?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it just started after this whole stupid car alarm and not being able to figure out how to turn it off without the key fab working

Well, the car alarm and immobilizer circuit are different animals. The one thing that affects both is battery voltage. As I understand it you had someone try performing a jump start on your battery, is that correct?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I thought it was the battery also so I called AAA and he tested the battery and said it was fine and tried to jump it none the less. It it triggering jut not rolling over all the way. He said the battery was fine

Okay, I am having a bit of trouble discerning what you are saying as it relates to the engine "spinning over" but not "turning over" as you say. Let me ask a different way. Is the engine spinning over strongly like a constant cranking? This is important in my diagnosis so I need to understand this clearly from you. Thanks for your patience

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
when I turn the key the engines acts like it wants to start but just won't stay going. At one point I thought it had started and tried to out in reverse but it won't stay like when the car is 100%. And then when I look at the dash the battery light is on and the green key is flashing I left hand side. Sorry as you can tell I am not very mechanical so I am sorry if frustrating

Would you be able to take a video of the sound the engine is making as you are trying to start the engine, and post it to this thread so I can hear this for myself? This would be helpful for me

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Currently I am at a super 8 hotel about 10 minutes from my car, with no car. I have to figure out how to fix it or get it towed to Honda and spend the night again. So sorry I can't
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The lights on the dash stay light and bright when I try to start the car. I never answered that

Okay, I will give you my diagnosis based on the information you've provided as best I can understand it. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

From what I understand it sounds like the engine is partially spinning over but maybe not completely. Like it struggles to start and then quits. This indicates a faulty starter. It is normal for the green key light to come on and blink for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on and this is what I think is happening when you try to start the engine. The light is coming on like normal, but the engine won't start long enough for the light to blink normally and go out. I also think the alarm fiasco is coincidental as it relates to the engine not starting. I know these systems and the security alarm system will not prevent the engine from starting. I believe the issue here is a faulty starter. This is good news because you now know what the problem is, but bad news because there is virtually nothing you can do to get it starting. You can try using a long solid object to stick through the intake and attempt hitting the starter as someone holds the key over in the start position, but this is about it. It sounds like you are going to have to get the the vehicle towed. Sorry, I wish I had better news. The starter is located under the intake manifold and a little difficult to see and get to on this model. If you have any additional questions about this just let me know. Thanks!

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for positing to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I guess I don't know how long I have to give the sound I am going to be back to the car in a few hours and can respond then? If that is possible yes I can do that

okay. I will be hit or miss from about 9:30-12:00. I will do my best to check in on you during that time frame.