HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2013 Honda accord,,, says check gas cap and 2 days later the

Customer Question

2013 Honda accord,,, says check gas cap and 2 days later the engine check light comes on. Clear the light with battery terminals and now every time I fill the tank, small amount of gas is leaked on ground under the tank and within 2 days I get the gas cap check again and afterward the check engine light comes on. Actual engine performance is running fine. Is there some kind of sensor for vapor, etc for the fuel tank/gas cap,,,, or what might this be?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello Carl, and thank you for your question,

When the check engine light come on its because the computer system is detecting a system fault and when this happens the computer system will set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to determine what is failing you need to start with having the computer system scanned. Most auto part store will do this scan for you at no charge. If you can get this done and post back with them I will direct you in the correct repair. Dont remove the battery cable before have the scan done so the code is not erased.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Had 2 different places check with no idea. You have what I found
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

I suspect its related to the gas leak you seeing but having the fault code would point us in the right direction. Can you get the scan done?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll go to a 3rd and get a code,,,,, will get back to you then.
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay , let me know and we can work from there.