MASTER TECH
MASTER TECH, Honda Service Technician
Experience:  28 years of Honda training and a master Honda tech
10834442

The vehicle starts and dies, but starts right up. It runs

Customer Question

the vehicle starts and dies, but starts right up. It runs for 3-4 seconds and dies.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2010 honda civic 1.8
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. it doesn't react like a fuel pump issue as it starts right up. I transfered the relays between #7 & #13 with no avail
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 4 months ago.

Hello welcome to Just answer I'm master tech and will be able to assist you.

can you tell me if the green Key Icon is flashing when this happens ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll go check

ok

turn the Key on see if the icon goes out or stays flashing

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there is no green icon on the dash either way. there is a green dot that goes out after it starts

ok

does the car seem to die right after you release the key from the start position ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no. it runs for 3-4-5 seconds then dies. it starts right up and does it all over again. it doesn't feel like a fuel pump.

ok

have you scanned this yet to see if any codes are present?

do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge ?

if could be a fuel issue or something in the system that maybe causing a fault .

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no codes present. it doesn't feel like a fuel pump, it stalls and it starts right up and does it again. it does however act like fuel because when it died once, I hit it with starting fluid while it was dying and it kept running while I sprayed it.
I couldn't find any rail connection except for the return line or what it appeared to be. 1/4 inch line in the back/ middle of the motor on top.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I changed the relays as I explained, but that might have been for nothing as they both run the motor

ok their is a special fuel pressure kit for this and the fitting is on the fuel rail.

we need to see what this is doing so this would be the next step .

also have you checked the mass air flow sensor in the air box to see if the wire is clean ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the fuel pressure test that you're telling me to do sounds mute. the pump runs, it starts the car, it runs for 3-5 seconds normally sometimes afew more or less and then it dies. it starts right up like I just shut it off and does the same cycle as many times as I try it. it never not starts and runs.
the guy got stuck last night and it did it then, and still has the same symptoms
i'd like to change the pump due to me hitting it with starting fluid when I did and got the results I had but something tells me it's not the right avenue to take.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we know that it's running out of fuel but it starts right up. the pump doesn't have to cool off or anything. it's a consistent reaction going on here.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the timing is predictable.

ok and you swapped the fuel pump relay ?

in the under dash fuse box ?

If your wanting to try to replace the pump I would first try the main fuel pump relay #2

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
where is #2? I was under the hood and swapped #7 & #13. Any graphs I've seen doesn't have anything listed for the 'fuel pump' specifically.

their is # 2 FUEL relay in the under dash fuse box and the under hood relay box

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
are you telling me there are 2 relays regarding the pump? If so could you give me a diagram?

here you go

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, i'm going to try to swap outthat relay and go from there. i'll leave this site open and my computer on and inform you as to what I find out.

ok

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok, when the motor dies, the pump runs for another second after it dies and shuts off if that helps.

not with out a pressure readings.

need to see what the relays are doing on the data list.

your going to need a advanced scanner to read the electrical and live engine data.

these cars are to advanced now days to start guessing on whats wrong.

how about the mass air flow sensor did you check that yet ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I had the filter cover off of it and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I'll check the pressure tonight, my $800 set up was in a flood and is junk. I called a friend tech of mine and he said he'll come out tonight with his. i'll have to get back with you.

ouch sorry to hear that.

do you want the fuel pump test ?

forgot to ask is this all stock ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hey all set. the customer lives 160 miles from here. he just took it out of here with a car dolly.

bummer