HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I just bought a 2016 civic lx. I have had it about 45 days.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I just bought a 2016 civic lx. I have had it about 45 days. During that timeframe the windows have rolled themselves down 3 times and the truck has popped twice all by itself. I read in the manual that you can roll the windows down by pressing the unlock button 2 times. I tried it and it worked. I considered that the button may have been pressed accidently when I put the key fob in my pants pocket. So, I started locking the car and putting the keys on my desk inside. The same issue took place. Sometimes it is the truck that opens other time it is the windows that roll down.
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: the car is brand new
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have an appointment at the dealership on Thursday. But looking at the blogs on the internet, this is happening to quite a few people
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yes, maybe a hint..........the FCC has allocated 315 MHZ as the frequency for key fobs in the USA. However, the Honda key fobs operate on 433.29 MHZ which is a frequency allocated for satellite communication in the USA.
Category: Honda
Expert:  MASTER TECH replied 5 months ago.

Hello welcome to just answer I am master tech and will be able to assist you

can you tell me if this car has a dealer installed alarm or device that is mounted under the dash and has led's flashing ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
once the car is locked there is a red LED that blinks. It is located on the instrument cluster next to the left turn signal LED. there is nothing hanging from under the dash and nothing on the window sticker that says anything about a dealer installed alarm.

ok then this appears to be a factory system still.

the reason I asked is we have already seen some come in for the windows going down but it was tied to a after market alarm system and once it was removed then the problem was resolved.

I'm afraid I will not be able to go any further since this will have to be hooked up to the Honda scanner to interface and see which body or security codes are set.

I will send this for a refund for you.

Dino

what did the dealer discover ?