Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Key light is on, car starts and then quits. '06 Civic

Customer Question

Green key light is on, car starts and then quits. '06 Civic Hybrid.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: "green key light"
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing -- I'm researching
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The car sat up for almost 3 months, and I'm jump-charging it now..
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 30 years hands on experience. During the Q&A or when we are done please go to the rating page and rate. It won't close the question or cost extra. I work for you and a positive rating not JustAnswer.

The green key light or immobilizer system(IMOB) can act the way it is because of low battery voltage. It will also act this way if the key code for some reason was lost by the IMOB unit or engine powertrain control module(PCM). Sometimes this happens and the only way to get it started is to reprogram all of the keys into the system again. Make sure the battery is fully charged if needed use a jump to make sure just in case the 12 volt battery in the vehicle is bad. If charging and jumping is unsuccessful a mobile locksmith should be able to reprogram all of the keys again.

Please click on the rating scale OK, Good, or Excellent. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

~Cliff