acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, , CA smog. ASE L1
8300270

The gear shift is stuck in park. The brake lights work. i

Customer Question

the gear shift is stuck in park. The brake lights work. i have had a couple of very strange scary episodes as well where the car revvs without me applying any gas, and accelerates on its own. I have had to pull it over and stop it. When I start it again it is fine. Don't know if these things are connected. The dealership says my trottle mechanism control box needs to be replaced, and the repair is $900. Help!
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: I just had the 100,000 mile check up, and they checked all the fluid levels
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2004 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl with side air bags
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no. I think this is out of my ability. I just want some advice on whether is might really be the trottle control and be worth fixing for $900. Should I take it somewhere else and have them hook it up? My usual mechanic doesn't have a computer for Honda
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i just had the starter replaced too.Otherwise, and old but very reliable car.
Category: Honda
Expert:  acura mstr replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem. Both problems are most likely connected. The shift lock will not release the shift lock if the car is not idling for safety reasons. Check that the floor mat is not hitting the gas pedal. When the starter was replaced the throttle cables would need to be removed to access the starter. I think you should get another opinion. I cant see the car but My thinking is that one of the throttle cables is sticking, damaged or adjusted too tight. However If the problem is in the throttle body ( the $900 part) It can be replaced with a good used one for a much lower cost.

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.