Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Thks, 2001 honda Civic - EPS light is on ang power steering

Customer Question

thks
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2001 honda Civic - EPS light is on ang power steering is hard
JA: Has the light been on for some time?
Customer: yea
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yea
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i dont konw
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be be posting a replay ASAP

There is TSB( Technical service bulletin on the power steering pump for this year model

If you are full of power steering fluid and no power steering fluid leaking and the steering still feels stiff then replace power steering pump

2001 Honda Civic DX Sedan L4-1668cc 1.7L SOHC MFI

Save Article

01-086 October 2, 2001

Zoom and Print Options

Applies To:

Noisy or Stiff Steering
(Supersedes 01-086, dated September 4, 2001)

Updated information is shown by a black bar.

SYMPTOM

The steering makes a grinding noise or feels stiff when you turn the wheel.

PROBABLE CAUSE

A faulty power steering pump.

CORRECTIVE ACTION

Replace the power steering pump.

Zoom and Print Options

PARTS INFORMATION

Zoom and Print Options

REQUIRED MATERIALS

WARRANTY CLAIM INFORMATION

In warranty:
The normal warranty applies.

Operation Number: 512100

Flat Rate Time: 0.4 hour

Failed Part: P/N 56110-PLA-013
H/C(###) ###-####br />
Defect Code: 042

Contention Code: B07

Template ID: 01-086A

Skill Level: Repair Technician

Out of warranty:
Any repair performed after warranty expiration may be eligible for goodwill consideration by the District Service Manager or your Zone Office. You must request consideration, and get a decision, before starting work.

REPAIR PROCEDURE

1. Pull the power steering reservoir off its mounting bracket. Disconnect the return hose from the reservoir, and drain the fluid into a suitable container. Be careful not to spill any fluid on the body or other parts; wipe off spilled fluid immediately. Properly dispose of the fluid.

2. Attach a length of suitable-diameter hose to the return hose. Insert the hose end into a suitable container placed under the vehicle.

3. Start the engine, let it run at idle, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. When the fluid stops running out of the hose, turn off the engine. Properly dispose of the fluid.

4. Detach the hose from the return hose, then reconnect the return hose to the reservoir. Push the reservoir onto its mounting bracket.

5. Refill the reservoir to the upper level line with Honda Power Steering Fluid.

6. Repeat steps 1 thru 4 to flush the system. This leaves the system empty of fluid except for the power steering pump.

7. Replace the power steering pump (see steps 3 thru 10 on page 17-16 of the 2001-02 Civic Service Manual).

8. Refill the reservoir to the upper level line with Honda Power Steering Fluid.

9. Start the engine, hold it at 2,000 rpm, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times to bleed any air from the system.

10. Check the fluid level in the reservoir, and add more fluid if needed. Do not fill the reservoir beyond the upper level line.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back And Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have.

Thank You

Chad Farhat