Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My car will start when it's cold after I run it while and

Customer Question

My car will start when it's cold after I run it for a while and stop the car will not start again. I can't turn it all the way and it won't turn over. But if I wait 5 to 10 minutes it will turn over and start no problem. Should I replace the relay or try to solder it and repair it before changing out the ignition parts?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. You don't need to open a new question just reply back to me on your first question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I used talk to text so the part that says I can't turn the key all the way over what I meant was I can turn the key all the way over to the start position. So I read that when the relay gets old the soldering starts to crack I haven't pulled it from underneath the dash but that would be the cheapest fastest thing I could do before I started buying parts. It seems that everything works fine except for that starting portion when the car is at the operating temp. This started last night and happened 2 time to me. Seems all electrical.

Soldering the relay would be the least expensive. If it works then replace the relay.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
If it was the ignition switch would it fail even when the car is cold or hot it just wouldn't start the car at all right? Or when the ignition switch is going out do they fail intermittently as opposed to just stop working altogether.

Ignition switches usually fail causing a stalling problem when they get warmed up. Stalls when driving then restarts until it gets bad enough to finally not restart. Not too likely to cause a no start problem.