acura mstr
acura mstr, Honda Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master tech, , CA smog. ASE L1

I believe my 2005 Honda Odyssey gps player has gone bad and

Customer Question

I believe my 2005 Honda Odyssey gps player has gone bad and I am thinking about replacing the unit myself. Will I use the DVD code that I have now for the system or do I have to take it to the dealer to have in installed correctly? What steps will I have to go through to get the GPS system working again. FYI, when I turn the car on, the GPS but I have scratchy screen and when I put the vehicle in reverse the backup camera comes on and I can see the back of the van but the GPS(maps) screen does not work.
Category: Honda
Expert:  acura mstr replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer My name is*****'m here to help you with your problem. You don't need the dealer to set it up. But you need the code for the DVD unit you replace, It will be different from the one you have now. If you give me the serial number off the DVD unit you buy (if they don't provide it for you) I can get your code. The only other thing you might run into is the version of the map data base in the new unit. If you get one with a disc post back the old and new disc versions and I will tell you how to update them . Other than that the unit will set itself up when you start it. Just be sure it is from the same year and model vehicle there are several types. You can also get your old unit repaired at this place then it will be plug and play .

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either of the two stars on the left, please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.