Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

My VSA and check engine lights are staying on. Can i

Customer Question

Hi. My VSA and check engine lights are staying on. Can i continue to drive it until I have time to get it checked out?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stay on
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 2010
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It does reset some times when restarted but the check engine light stays on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No. I have a mechanic, but I haul alot of stuff
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

As long as there are no engine performance symptoms like skipping or stuttering, more than likely, the problem lies in the EVAP (emissions control/recovery) System. This system will in no way affect the engine. So, yes, it is perfectly safe to drive the vehicle. In the meantime, give the Fuel Cap a check and make sure it is seated correctly and tight. If the fuel cap checks ok, the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (aka "P-Codes") will need to be scanned from the on-board computer. These codes will more accurately point to the part/sensor that has the problem and from there the correct repair can be made. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Until you can have these p-codes scanned, it's safe to drive the vehicle. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

If you have any other questions, or there was something you were hoping to have addressed that I may have missed in my answer... please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 8 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!