Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.

When i drive it makes a scraping sound like something is

Customer Question

when i drive it makes a scraping sound like something is dragging but nothing is dragging. is it safe to continue driving it like this
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: When I am braking or starting to drive again.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Honda Accord 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: nothing yet just wanting to go on a road trip and want to know if i can drive it as is before taking into the shop
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. During the Q&A or when we are done please go to the rating page and rate. It won't close the question or cost extra. I work for you and a positive rating not JustAnswer.

A scraping noise when braking and starting off is most likely the brake pad wear indicator(s). The brake pads have a metal tab that rubs on the brake rotor when it's time to replace the brakes. It won't hurt anything unless you keep driving for another few hundred miles. It can even go a thousand or so if you drive mostly highway miles. Once it starts making noise there is still approx 10-15% brake pad lining left. Since you are going on a trip I would suggest having it looked at just to be sure. Another possible cause is a rock or road debris between the rotor and rotor shield. This is not a emergency but should be looked at before your trip.

Please click on the rating scale OK, Good, or Excellent. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,