Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

2002 Honda Civic. A/C wont work. The Freon level is good.

Customer Question

2002 Honda Civic. A/C wont work. The Freon level is good. When you energize the compressor directly it will turn on and produce cold air, but will not turn on its own. Noted that when comp was energized the fans did not come on, assuming they are on different circuit.
Where to go from here?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked to see what codes are set with this issue here at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

no codes....but the fans do work with normal operating

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Since the fans do not turn on with the ac on this usually indicates the engine computer is not receiving the ac request signal.This can be due to a fault with the actual ac switch on the heater ac control panel on the dash itself.I have seen some of these switches fail before needing replaced for this fault here.

The ac switch signal needs tested to see if this is the cause here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Pete may I ask you how to check this switch before I condemn it?

Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

There is a blue wire in terminal A4 at the back of he heater/ac panel.This wire should send either a voltage or ground signal with the ac switch engaged then the signal not present with the ac switch off.If it does not send out a ground or power signal with the ac engaged then the ac/heater panel needs replaced on the dash.

If this switch is sending a signal then the most likely fault is the pressure switch.Below is a diagram of this system here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lsu4g2afawxxrwf/ac-07-13.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete