Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician

2003 Honda CRV - Black Death compressor. Mechanic checked it

Customer Question

2003 Honda CRV - Black Death for ac compressor.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Mechanic checked it out ... the problem is the compressor is locked up.
JA: What is the model of your '03 Honda?
Customer: CRV
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Need to have it fixed but since this is a known problem would like to see if Honda will help pay for it. I was quote $2100 for the repair already.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no - I have 215,000
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Hi im kevin do you have any extended warrenty ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I do not.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Ok to be honest its very unlikely at the age and milage of vehicle that honda would contribute to this type of issue .this fault may not be uncommon but its within a period that it would class as fair wear and tear .its worth a try though

Contact honda usa tel:1-***-***-****

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already did that. They said unlikely ... what is an average cost for this type of repair?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

$2100 sounds a bit heavy to be honest .what engine do you have fitted ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have a v4 I think ..what would be an average price?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Il just check bear with me il be a couple of mins

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Ok its a 2.1 hour labour time on average plus regas and part .at an independant garage (not honda ) id expect anywhere from$800 -1600 on average .obviously dependent on labour costs in your area and engine fitment

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that covers the black death issue where the metal shards go through the system -- right?
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

Yes you just need to make sure that the car is flushed through before fitting new part

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My mechanic told me I had no recourse ... had to replace everything due to the shards but you know of this issue -- correct? That is such a huge discrepancy. I hope I can find someone to make the repair for about that cost. I was thinking $1200 was a fair price.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

This is recommended is system is flushed proberly this shouldnt be an issue .recieved dryer should always be replaced though when system is opened

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 months ago.

please rate my service