Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey Elite Touring Van and the

Customer Question

Hi - I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey Elite Touring Van and the battery died. I tried to charge the battery and it wouldn't take a charge. I replaced the battery with one from CARQUEST as I am 100 miles from closest dealership even though the dead battery is under warranty. Now when I connect the black battery cable the OEM alarm goes off. I can't make the alarm stop and engine will not start. How do I reset the OEM alarm?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Are you using the key in the outside door lock while the alarm is going off? Also disconnect both battery cables and hold them together for a minute. Then reconnect the battery, this should reset the alarm.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
on using the key in the outside door lock when it is going off and when it is timed out and stopped I have used the key to lock and unlock the door it the alarm still goes off. I will try the battery cables together.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Make sure all the doors are fully closed too.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the battery cables weren't long enough to connect so we had to remove the ground screw to the negative cable and then we used the ground wire to touch with the positive cable. Touched them together for a minute and then reattached the cables to the battery and same results. Any other suggestions for things to try here versus towing to dealership?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Make sure tail gate is closed all the way. Unlock and lock all doors by hand, you could have a sticking lock actuator.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Is there a key in the exterior of the pass front door? try that too if there is.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will go out and try the doors again but all were closed just now so I will go check all doors and tailgate and try again.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. I only get compensated from positive ratings of 3 or more stars. Hoping to give you 5 star service.
Thank you so much!