Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Honda Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Honda Diagnostics
18617752

My daughter's 2004 Honda CRv's brake lights won't turn

Customer Question

my daughter's 2004 Honda CRv's brake lights won't turn off...
JA: Have you checked the brake light switch? How about the fuses?
Customer: Well they are staying on. Where is the brake light switch?
JA: What is the model of your '04 Honda?
Customer: crv
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far, she just brought it to me
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

When the brake lights are staying on, this will be a problem with the Brake Light Switch. It's located under the driver's side dash, mounted to the top of the brake pedal arm. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, sounds like plunger for the switch has seized and the switch will need to be replaced. For an image location view, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9f0826ti2kx4mb0/crv-bls.jpg?dl=0

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

If you have access to a multi-meter, I can provide you with a test procedure before replacing the switch. Let me know if you need that procedure.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see how you made out? Was the problem with the brake light switch? Were there any other questions you had on this issue? Any other information I can provide? If you have no further question, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page and rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!