George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

2004 Honda Element. Replacing Ac compressor and Ac

Customer Question

2004 Honda Element. Replacing Ac compressor and Ac condenser. New compressor came with 4oz of oil in it. Do I need to add more oil since I am replacing condenser also. If so, how much oil and where do I add it, in the pump?
I am assuming there is fluid in the lines already
Category: Honda
Expert:  George H. replied 5 months ago.

Hello I will help

Drain the old compressor and measure what comes out. Either remove enough oil from the new compressor to get 2 ounces total in it or if you drained more from the old leave that much in the new but at least 2 ounces.

You can add 1 ounce to the new condenser.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The old compressor was empty, nothing to drain from it

Was the oil burnt?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you mean smell burnt? I most likely spilled a little oil out of old one, but it could not have been much more than a few ounces. I don't have to add additional for replacing condenser?

I am wondering why you had no oil in the compressor?

The condenser is 1 ounce.

If the old compressor did not have much then fill the new one with 2 ounces and put one ounce of what you drain in the condenser.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it to one of the hose connectors on condenser. Is the 4oz they shipped compressor with just a random amount, not specific to honda

The normal fill for a Honda compressor is 3 ounces but if you have oil in the system that is too much, knock it back to 2 ounces or whatever is drained if more.

Let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks. I just pour the additional 1oz into either of the ports on the condensor

Put it in the port that is closest to the compressor in line so the discharge from the compressor to the condenser pushes the oil into the condenser.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks

I am always glad to help, if you have no further questions please complete the rating

Thank you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Of course I am back. I left 2oz in the compressor. Just a double check that this is enough in the compressor. I just don't want to under lubricate it. I see some take much more. Is the amount based on the compressor needs or the needs specific to the Honda system regardless of the pump brand. I am going to have the system charged at a mechanic, so I guess there is always opportunity to adjust the oil. Thank you for hanging in with me

Better under than over in this case. There is still oil in the rest of the system.

That is what Honda dictates how to do the oil and it is industry standard.

Once you get it charged up and running properly you can add another ounce to the system but it really is not necessary as normal operation of the system will move the oil to where it needs to be

Have them suck it down and wait to be sure nothing is leaking then install the refrigerant by weight and let it run for 15 minutes in the shade with the windows open and the blower on half speed. You cant measure the inlet and outlet of the evaporator with this system but you can ensure the radiator fan is working and that the inlet and outlet of the condenser is about a 40 degree difference.

If it is everything is good, if you are seeing a large difference in the 40 degree difference in to out then you would either add more refrigerant or remove some to get the temp reading where you need it for optimum performance.