HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I have codes p0420 and p 2138 and the car has very little

Customer Question

I have codes p0420 and p 2138 and the car has very little acceleration
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: It has 170k miles but we haven't checked the fuel filters
JA: What is the model of your '138 Honda?
Customer: It's a 2007 Honda accord
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I might try to take off Catalina converter and clean
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Catalytic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I' m Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I' m reviewing your question now, and I will be post back with your reply ASAP

P0420 is the cat , clogged up

yes sometimes you can have success cleaning them,so that will be good idea

THE P2138 , IS TPS , HOW IS DRIVING , I GUESS LACK OP POWER ?

DTC P2138: Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) Sensor A/B (Throttle Position Sensor D/E) Incorrect Voltage Correlation

Zoom and Print Options

General Description
Accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor A and accelerator pedal position (APP) sensor B are potentiometers, and they are installed in the engine compartment.

The APP sensors A and B are operated via the throttle cable to determine the accelerator opening value when the driver presses the accelerator pedal. The accelerator pedal opening value is converted to a signal in APP sensors A and B and transmitted to the engine control module (ECM)/powertrain control module (PCM) to compute the target position. The target position signal is then transmitted to the throttle actuator control module.

APP sensor A is for the primary control, and APP sensor B is a back-up of APP sensor A in case it malfunctions. Both sensors compare their output voltage to each other for malfunction detection.

When the voltage difference of APP sensor B is out of a fixed range for a set period of time, the ECM/PCM detects a malfunction, and a DTC is stored.

Zoom and Print Options

Monitor Execution, Sequence, Duration, DTC Type, OBD Status

Zoom and Print Options

Enable Conditions

Malfunction Threshold
One of these conditions must be met for at least 0.3 seconds.
- If the APP sensor B voltage exceeds the range from 0 V or less to 0.361 V or more when the APP sensor A voltage is 0.361 V.
- If the APP sensor B voltage exceeds the range from 2.319 V or less to 2.681 V or more when the APP sensor A voltage is 4.995 V.

Diagnosis Details

Conditions for illuminating the MIL
When a malfunction is detected, the MIL comes on and the DTC and the freeze frame data are stored in the ECM/PCM memory.

Conditions for clearing the MIL
The MIL will be cleared if the malfunction does not recur during three consecutive trips in which the diagnostic runs.

The MIL, the DTC, and the freeze frame data can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear command or by disconnecting the battery.

© 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

please let me know, if you need anything else

Thank You
Chad Farhat