Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX, that suddenly is blowing hot

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Honda Accord EX, that suddenly is blowing hot air intead of cool air. I had the Freon replaced last year. Not sure why it's happening..
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?
Customer: I don't know how.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would like to be knowledgeable so when I take it to a mechanic I'm not taken for a ride...not very handy with fixing stuff.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Unrelated to the A/C issue, I also hear a strange noise when a make left turns...not a clicking noise but definitely a distinct noise especially in the morning when I first drive the car but less so as the day goes on...weird.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Let's start with the concern about the air conditioner:

The main reason that the AC will blow hot is because of a lack of freon. If you just had the freon replaced last year then there is a posibility that the system has developed a leak somewhere. Most shops will check your freon pressure levels first, along with compressor operation (the compressor doesn't turn on if the freon is low) so they can determine if it seems like the freon is low. If the freon is low they should then run a dye test on the system. They will add a UV reactant dye to the system and then run it to see where the dye might leak out. If it has a leak it could be just about anywhere, but the most common places are in the AC pressure lines. Replacement of those lines runs about $100-$150 dollars.

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Other causes of the AC blowing hot could be a bad AC compressor or bad AC compressor clutch, or a bad AC relay. The shop should be able to test for these problems with some basic electrical testing on the AC clutch circuit. If the AC compressor is bad it will run about $1200 to replace the compressor and accompanying parts- if you don't replace pretty much all of the major AC components with a compressor change it will likely damage the new compressor and most shops will not offer a warranty.

If the relay is bad it should only be about $20. If the compressor clutch is bad it will be about $120 to replace.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for the A/C answer. What about the noise I hear?
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

It's hard to say on the noise. Does it get better or worse when pressing the brake?

Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Do you feel any shaking or shimmy when accelerating?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No shaking, not worse by breaking. Just when I make a hard left turn I hear the noise.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

It's possible that one of the struts is blown and letting the car lean too hard to one side allowing the tire to rub on the plastic inner fender. It could also be that the inner fender panel is hanging down slightly and contacting the tire.

You may also have a brake problem on one side of the car that causes the brake to compress slightly on that side only causing a rub noise, but this would normally go away when you press the brakes because it tightens everything up evenly.

It's really hard to say with noises. I would start by checking for something rubbing on the tire. You should be able to see shiny or scuffed up plastic if there is a rub somewhere.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help. I'll be here if you have any questions about what the shop finds with the AC system.

Please don't forget to rate.