HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level

My honda cranks but dosent start, i changed just about every

Customer Question

My honda cranks but dosent start, i changed just about every part you can think of to get spark
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes the headlights turn on and yes the battery is charged but it keeps dieng after so many cranks
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 99 honda accord
JA: What year is your Accord?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive changed the ignition switch lock cylinder the ignitor module the coil and plugs and wires and the main relay
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The starter signal fuse isnt getting power
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

To clarify, the engine cranks but won't start right?

Have you tested for spark?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i tested for spark but im not getting any. And also my starter signal fuse isnt getting any power do you know. How i could solve this problem?
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

So it doesn't crank? How were you able to test for spark if it doesn't crank?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it does crank but it dosent start look its been broken down for about 3 wks now and all it does is crank. Ive changed the ignition switch and lock cylinder,the ignitor contol module, ignition coil,distributor cap and the rotor ,the mail relay,the fuel pump and it still dont start any ideas?
Expert:  Jared D replied 3 months ago.

Ok, that makes more sense. I was having a hard time figuring out how you could test it if it won't crank. If you have a multi-meter and a dwell meter you could test the following:

Verify that the coil and igniter have good battery voltage on the Black/Yellow wire.

Next, verify that the Yellow/Green wire from the igniter to the Engine Control Module (ECM) has 6.0 volts or higher. This voltage is sent from the igniter and the Engine Control Module (ECM) will pulse the voltage to ground to create spark. If the voltage is OK, use a dwell meter or a lab scope and backprobe the Yellow/Green wire. Look for 10 to 12 degrees of dwell, cranking on the 4-cylinder scale or a nice square wave signal on a lab scope.

If the dwell is correct or square wave signal is correct, check the coil negative and it should have the same dwell reading or a primary ignition pattern. If there is no dwell on coil negative, the igniter is faulty. If there is low dwell on coil negative, the coil and igniter are faulty. Always inspect for a faulty distributor cap and rotor.

If you don't have the test equipment you might try to test for power to the coil and at ignition control module. If you don't have power there then the ECM is bad.