Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.

I have a 1995 Honda civic ive been putting together (body

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Honda civic ive been putting together (body damage) and had not been running for a year. I did all the body work , replaced headlights , oil change , transmission fluid change etc, . I started having issues with the speedmeter working off and on but now I have no tachometer. I changed the speed sensor and still no change and now replaced the gauge cluster assembly speedometer appears to be working but still no tachometer. What am I missing ? I thought about fuses but I do not see any thing on the diagram that says it is for the gauge cluster assembly I looked at the one under the hood as well. I'm at a loss at the moment . the check engine light is now on , so I know its has to be something simple.
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: I had it done 3 weeks ago
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes if i can do it myself i will always try first. so far i have replaced the gauge cluster assembly and replaced the speed sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i also replaced the battery, the car sat for a year due to body damage.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. During the Q&A or when we are done please go to the rating page and rate. It won't close the question or cost extra. I work for the rating($) and you not JustAnswer!

The speed sensor is not for the tachometer(engine rpm). The tachometer is driven by the ignition control module(ICM) inside the distributor housing. The blue wire goes from the distributor to the gauge assembly tach drive circuit. Try wiggling the distributor connectors while it's running to see if the tach works. Then try doing the same thing at the gauge assembly connector. It might be a bad ICM but is probably a bad connection at the gauge assembly connector.

Please click on the rating scale OK, Good, or Excellent. Positive feedback is welcome too. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please tell me why so I can continue to help. The rating has nothing to do with when or how you get charged. Rating is how JustAnswer knows when to pay me.
Thank you,

The tachometer drive circuit receives pulses from the ignition control module (ICM) in the distributor assembly. The solid-state tachometer then displays these pulses as engine speed. For each 200 pulses per minute from the ignition control module (ICM), the tachometer displays 100 RPM.