Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

A bolt broke off in the thermostat housing now I have to

Customer Question

A bolt broke off in the thermostat housing now I have to replace it. How can I remove it
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 1991 civic dx
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I would like to take the housing off to get the bolt out. But just wonder what it is attached to and what I need to remove to get to it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 5 months ago.

hello, kind of hard question not knowing where it broke off, You may get real lucky and find it did not break of flush and you can grab hold of remaining with pliers. vice grips etc and remove it., If not? then the only way is to drill the bolt out using real small bit working up to about same size as old bold, You can then use a tap to clean the threads up, or a helicoil to put a new thread insert in, Sometimes just a slightly larger bolt/ different thread piutch will work as does not take much to hold the housing on

Expert:  Honda-Man replied 5 months ago.

This diagram should help. Tracer3 make sure to respond so the rating goes to you.

Honda-Man