HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

2006 Honda CRV likes to randomly not start. Been about 2.5

Customer Question

2006 Honda CRV likes to randomly not start. Been about 2.5 months. Had the starter replaced last Saturday, then today it doesn't start. About 6 years ago my original key would not turn in the ingnition. The dealership replaced that and gave me a valey key to start the car. What could be wrong?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you.

So when it won't start what does the starter do and sound like? Do the lights dim or just no crank?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No crank or sound, all lights come on and the the seat belt beeps at me. Battery was replaced about a month or so ago.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can turn the key and nothing happens.

Thanks, ***** ***** recall hearing a small click from under the dash? It is the relay for the starter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No clicking sound.

OK, are you willing to test the starter solenoid circuit? It would require a test light at least or a voltmeter. This would make sure the starter is OK or you got another bad one(very common).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
None of which I have right now. I could later today.

Good this way we can make sure instead of an educated guess. I will send you some instructions. Probably be about 15-20 min.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you. Can you email them to me?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did read about the Valet key I have to start the car can wear out over time and won't work right? Can that be the case too? Or something like that?

I could but that is a premium service. It would cost a little extra to share email address.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No worries.

OK I will get the instructions ready. Is the valet key turning the lock? Does it turn al the way to the start position?

Does the green immobilizer "key" light flash when it won't start?