Tracer3
Tracer3, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Honda owner, Shop owner foreign/domestic
13677702

Changing water pump (and timing belt kit) on 2002 Honda

Customer Question

Changing water pump (and timing belt kit) on 2002 Honda Accord LX Automatic (2.3L FA23?). Never done a timing belt before, but I am pretty capable.
Pulley on water pump moves like a bobble head and ball bearings look to have fallen out (trapped under timing belt cover). Have pulley bolt removed, but no belts removed yet. Trying to understand all the alignment marks before taking off the belts. Looks like they all line up except for the cam shaft pulley which seems to be two teeth too much in the CCW direction.
Questions: 1) Need to double check that I understanding the marks correctly (pretty sure I do); 2) could the bad water pump have allowed the timing to slip; 3) with the belt two teeth off, do I have major engine damage (it sounds terrible when it runs, but I am hoping this is just the water pump).
Category: Honda
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 8 months ago.

Hello, I have included a link to the full repair, it is an interference engine so, many times no valve damage but sometimes it happens, You need to fix pump and get belt on , in time and see what happens. Yes, the water pumps sounds to be at fault and can /will cause timing belt issues, Look at the repair I have included for marks and so on

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. So, it is probably off by two teeth due to the water pump. I don't have the new parts yet (waiting for delivery from rock auto), so today is just uninstall. Looking ahead to the re-install, the only thing that is confusing is the 6x100mm bolt in step 19.
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 8 months ago.

thats the balancer belt, some do them, most dont, your using a timing cover bolt to help hold tensioner for balance belt

Expert:  Tracer3 replied 8 months ago.

oh ,, you mean wher you remove a plug on block, then insert the bolt to assit in timing the balance shaft

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yeah, I think so. The photo with a, b c d. Can't even tell where that is. Maybe it will make sense when I get to that step in real life
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 8 months ago.

yes, you will see a plug on side of block inline with the balance shaft

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got everything off yesterday. Next weekend will be the re-install. I don't think I'll need any more assistance. But can we keep this open until then?
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

Please leave feedback for my service provided,The post will remain open after feedback for any followups, if needed. Thanks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got it all back together the other day, but it is not running well. Seems to drive ok, but idle is bad and seems to have very slight run-on when turning off. Do I need to adjust the timing?
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

timing is not adjustabel, so,, if all together, all went ok, then you could? have a slightly bent valve or you could? be off a tooth

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Checking marks now. Any way to know if valve stem bent? There is a slight valve tap it one cylinder. Not sure it is a new sound or not.
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

the only way to be 100% is called a cylinder leak down test. This is where compressed air is put into each cylinder and listen for air at intake or exhaust, Other than the formal test? a compression test is a test as well or,, you put belt on, confirm and triple check timing and if all else ok? then likely a valve is bent

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can I check timing by marks on crank pulley? It do I need to remove covers and check marks on the front and rear idler pulleys?
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

you can line up crank pully to the mark, then remove top cover to confirm cam line ups

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
That's what I was thinking. There are three marks and a single mark on the crank pulley. It seems to line up with the single mark
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Or maybe a little too the right of the single mark (opposite to the three marks)
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

unsure, 3 marks? where on engine cover? can you snap a pic and send to this post

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Three marks on cranks pulley. Where the siting notch arm is for a timing gun
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sighting
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

I cant remember thus why a picture would help but usually the main larger mark is the TDC mark

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for taking time to help today!! At pep boys getting crank tool. Will send photo soon
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

crank tool? confused, you did the belt?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Looks like I'm pretty close to the tdc mark
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

yes, I have those pics, I was wanting to see how your car looks

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Balancer pulley puller. Just in case I need to pull it again to see all the marks.
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I did water pump and belts
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

ok, just did not follow why you needed a tool if you did belt already, its all good

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Any chance an over charged ac could cause the symptoms?
Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

could but if ac off and runs ok then rule that out

Expert:  Tracer3 replied 7 months ago.

sorry, ac off and still runs bad then not ac

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yeah, too late to try that now. Mostly disassembled
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK so my day totally sucks now. I dropped a 2 inch piece of rubber in one of the oil return holes on the head. Tried for 2 hrs to get it out. It is wedged at an angel.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Got it out! I did not take off lower timing cover, but am 100% sure the tdc marks line up on the big pulley(crank) and the cam pulley. Not sure about front and rear pulleys. Should I take off cover to check these? If you want to enjoy your holiday and pick this up later I understand.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Took off cover. Front pulley definitely off.