sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

2005 accord v6. with am/fm/6disc in-dash factory audio

Customer Question

2005 accord v6. with am/fm/6disc in-dash factory audio system and navigation system. disconnected battery. re-connected. had to initialize the navigation code, no problem. code screen came up and I programed the number. code screen does not come up for programming the radio code. I have no voice recognition, am/fm radio, cd player.
JA: Has the battery been recently disconnected? Have you checked the manual or the glove box for the radio code?
Customer: it isn't the fuse and I have rebooted the navigation cd.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: not fixing myself. Took to reputable radio repair company in town. said they have to remove the whole system, send it to New York, wait 6 weeks to get it back. $600+ to fix, $1,000+ to replace. Honda wants $135 to look at it and then will give me an estimate.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not sure. Any questions? Couldn't a local dealer or reputable repair place be able to replace the circuit board, without having to ship it off to New York? I live in Santa Cruz, CA. I don't want to get taken advantage of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A dealer would have the same options available as another shop, but their price on a replacement radio may be lower. The other shop was most likely sourcing a reman radio from Honda and the price to replace it they gave you included markup.

There are no internal radio repair parts or service information available to the public including your dealer, because it isn't an internally serviceable part. After confirming the problem is an internal radio failure then your dealer would also need to either replace the unit or remove it and send it out for repair. United Radio is almost surely who the other shop is using, which is a common, reputable shop.