Kavey, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner

My car suddenly stopped accelerating while on the ghway. I

Customer Question

My car suddenly stopped accelerating while on the highway. I had to pull over twice, shut off the car, then restart and I could accelerate again. But then the engine light came on, no other errors. Pulled off and refuelled but engine is still on. I drove over 1300 miles without a problem, then this started today.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: I just had the car serviced before starting this about week and a half ago.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: Starting on my trip, I mean. Everything has been serviced on this car. It's on its second service cycle.
JA: What year is your Honda?
Customer: It's a 2003 Honda Accord v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I'm in the middle nowhere Colorado at a gas station. I'm not a car mechanic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it, I'm just wondering if I can drive the remainder of my trip. 2 hours away and a mechanic there to work on it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Kavey replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Welcome to throttle by wire. The way of the future.

Is the car letting you accelerate now? If it resets whenever you turn the key off its most likely an issue with the throttle body assembly or the TAC (throttle actuator control) module.

My guess is you will make it two hours with shutting the key off and turning it back on if and when it happens again but I cant say that for sure without any way of testing anything.

Ive seen people drive them like this for months just turning it off and back on till the problem got so bad they were forced to fix it.

It isnt gonna be a fuse if its intermittent.. it could be a wire between the TAC and PCM but theres no way to know that for sure without testing.

I would say if your only real option is to drive it two more hours into the nearest town to get it looked at carry on. It will most likely make it and if not you will save a little on your tow... its not gonna hurt anything to try it.

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you and if you need anything further while you are your two hour trip just reply. Ill make sure Im around.

You can reply with follow up questions even after you rate my service. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well, the problem only got worse to the point of shutting off/ turning on the car didn't work. Got engine light reset but it came back on. Had car towed and worked on tomorrow.
Expert:  Kavey replied 4 months ago.

Did you check the codes before you cleared them?