justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX. The AC clutch will not stay

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Honda Civic LX. The AC clutch will not stay engaged after about 5 minutes. I have swapped relays with no correction of the problem. The control sifnal is getting to the relay. Could the clutch be bad?
JA: How many miles are on the clutch? Has it been slipping or sticking?
Customer: I meter +12V on pin 1 of the relay (from the fuse I believe) and then a ground on pin 2 ( through the clutch I suppose)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The car has 295K miles and may be original, lol
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of. I try to fix what I can myself. If the compressor needs replaced due to the clutch, I don't have equipment for that.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

I have been servicing only Honda/Acura vehicles for nearly 10 years so I know the brand well. If there is battery power at the Blue/Red wire at the compressor 3 pin connector when the engine is running and a/c switch is ON and the compressor isn't working this typically means the field coil has failed. Replacing the field coil is what you'll need to do. I will post a picture of the field coil on the compressor as well as a link to view the factory part, part number, and pricing. If you have any more questions about this job just let me know.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks!