justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.

I have an 08 Honda Accord. The alarm system went off last

Customer Question

Hi. I have an 08 Honda Accord. The alarm system went off last night I accidentally pressed the panic button. I got it to stop but now my car is stuck in park. I can turn the car on and used the override key by the shift, but I have to use it everytime after I put my car in park. Help!
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: The car is stuck in park until I use the override key. It does have a wheel lock but I turned the wheel all directions, the wheel isn't locked. I think it's stuck in "Anti-theft" mode because after the alarm went off my neighbor came over and popped the hood to make sure everything looked ok. How do I get it out of anti-theft mode?
JA: What year is your Accord?
Customer: 08
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm hoping I can fix it. I read something about using the key from the outside, switching it from unlock to lock to unlock again, or running it not engine on but battery for 10 minutes and it should reset?? I just want to be able to drive without using the shift key everytime
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No nothing else
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  eauto replied 4 months ago.

are your break lights working? because the shiftier release is opperated off the brake pedal release

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The break lights are working
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think it's in auto theft mode I don't know how to take it off that.
Expert:  justinsbg replied 4 months ago.
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Does the vehicle start and run?