Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles

99 odyssey my old a/c compressor's bearing went so i got

Customer Question

99 odyssey my old a/c compressor's bearing went so i got used ac compressor, checked out the new used one and it operates. put it in the car vacuumed and filled with new Freon. ac compressor wont turn on. if i jump the relay in driver compartment compressor turns on but still no ac in the car. im at a lost here fusees good relays good. what else can it be ( computer ?)
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: starts normally had issue before with alternator it blew and now the car only charges at 12.7v instead of 14v. now the ac. it was working perfectly till the bearing on the compressor went. car had 277,000 still runs great. trans and engine good
JA: What year is your Odyssey?
Customer: 1999
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i guess this is automated not live lol. i already said what i did and im an automotive tech not just a back yard mechanic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know? Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: checked all the fuses and relays. the compressor will only turn on if i jump the ac relay with my power probe no power going to the compressor
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and I will post back with your reply ASAP

1- the altenator not charging 14 v is an issue and needs replacement

2- the relay you are jumping , have you checked what is missing for it not to activate , are you missing a ground from ecm ?

can you check with a test light , hook up the test light alligator lead to positive terminal of battery and check the relay pins with car running and a/c button pressed on if the test light lights up you have found ground , are you getting ground or you are missing power to that relay , flip your test lead to negative terminal on battery and check the relay pins to which is getting power ,with a/c button pressed on , what do you get

please let me know

Thank You ***** ( aka -Customer)

ASE Certified Tech

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok the relay has a 30,87,86 and 85 when i put the test light on negative terminal the 85 lights up but nothing else when i put the test light on the positive 87,86 light up but i get nothing from 30 whats so ever. i don't have a schematic and hondas are not my specialty but i own two lol.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
87 is the one i jump with my power probe to start the compressor

ok hold on , give me one second to check for you

#30 should be getting power from the a/c control module inside your dash

that could be your problem or the connector on back of it , check it

#85 lights up as ground is correct coming from pcm

Hope I was helpfull to you ,Let me know if you need anything else on it

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open for you to Come Back And Ask Me Any Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue Even after You Rate Me

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer)