sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My Honda CRV 2013 would not start after I came out from

Customer Question

My Honda CRV 2013 would not start after I came out from filling it with gas. It had run just fine during the trip. I heard clicking as I turned the starter. However, lights, power windows, etc. worked just fine. I jumped it and the car started up just fine. Took it to Auto Zone to have battery and alternator tested. All tested well. Turned car off and on numerous times and it started just fine.
JA: Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: In continuing, my wife took it into get it serviced at our dealership in St. Louis for the 70,000 mile check up and told them of the problem. They didn't find any problem, though she spent close to $600 on service. The car has run well a little over a week without incidence, but tonight the same problem happened again.
JA: What is the model of your '13 Honda?
Customer: CRV
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I thought the dealership with all of their mechanics would figure it out.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My automatic key entry and lock remotely quick working about a month ago but I doubt those are related.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 4 months ago.

HI there,

Are you hearing a single click with each turn of the key or a series of rapid clicks?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a series of rapid clicks as initially stated.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 4 months ago.

Sorry, I didn't catch that.

This is a bad connection or a low battery. Since the cables are clean on the battery, then you would have to check their other ends to make sure they are good and clean. It's possible the starter is the issue, but fairly rare for them to go bad with this type of sound. Make sure the dealer looked at the connections on the engine and the starter as well as the battery.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The connections are clean on both ends and the battery checked as very good. The starter was also checked last week in Honda shop and tested good.
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 4 months ago.

The thing about testing the starter, if the condition doesn't exist when it's tested, it will pass the test with flying colors. Most shops won't replace it until it leaves you stranded and have to be towed. My money is on the starter warning you it's going bad and it's probably going to cause you problems like this until it's replaced.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The experts at the Honda dealership said it was not the starter and suggested I not change it.
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 4 months ago.

So what was their answer? We don't know?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thought it was a glitch and would not happen again. But it has.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Doesn't make sense that the starter switch works because of a jump. If it was the starter, jumping the car should not make any difference.
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 4 months ago.

I don't believe it's a glitch, I believe it's a warning. Like I said, it's going to pass with flying colors unless it actually is failing when tested. The starter is getting power at least to the solenoid which is why it has rapid clicking.

That being the case, then the battery or connections has to be the problem. However, with a reduction drive starter like this, the boost of power from jumping may be unsticking the gears inside the starter, allowing it to spin.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
You even stated at your first response that it was rare for a starter to go bad. I don't feel very confident in your answer.
Expert:  Carguy1 replied 4 months ago.

No problem, I will open it back up to the other experts.

Please don't reply or rate as it will send it back to me and they won't see it.

Good luck with this!!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

A rapid clicking is almost always caused by low voltage available to the starter. If jumping it did allow it to start, you had a rapid clicking when holding the key in the crank position, and battery connections are clean and tight then odds are the battery was just low. The only thing jump starting takes the place of are the battery and connections. If jumping it truly allowed it to start then the problem was either a low battery or a connection issue. If connections are clearn then you either have a failing battery yet it still tested good when it was looked at (not uncommon), something was left one, or there is an intermittent draw which drained it.