Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.

Emission tear aborted because Catalyst Not Ready How do I

Customer Question

Emission tear aborted because Catalyst Not Ready
How do I reset that program? Someone told me let the car idle
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 21 years experience repairing strictly Honda vehicles.

The catalytic converter needs to be warmed up before the monitor can run. A drive cycle needs to be done from a cold start. Overnight is best to make sure it's completely cooled down. The converter heats up when exhaust flows through it so highway driving is quickest. A level road without any stops is also best. At idle the converter won't get hot enough to allow the catalyst to function because of lack of exhaust flow. Hold at a steady speed of 55 to 60 mph for 5 minutes. Catalytic converter efficiency, EGR flow, ignition misfire, fuel trim, EVAP system and oxygen sensors operation will now be checked.

Just a friendly reminder to click on the rating scale OK, Good, or Excellent. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please at least say you are happy or satisfied. This is how I get paid by the site for my time so it's very important.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Should I go immediately to the emission check station after i have done the drive cycle? Also, someone also told me my corroded battery cables are interfering with the cars computer .....should I pour baking soda and water to clean the cables before my drive cycle?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

The cables might be a problem but not too likely. Might as well clan them up just to be sure. I would go to the check station and not shut it off until you are told to. The monitor will keep once passed until it's all the way cooled down.

If you are OK with my answer please rate or accept. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask after the rating.