Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.

The immobilizer system won't let me start the car, how do i

Customer Question

the immobilizer system won't let me start the car, how do i reset it without having to go to a dealership?
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: it'll turn over but then shuts down right away
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: i'm not sure on the age, it's my sister's car i borrowed it go out of town
JA: What year is your Honda?
Customer: 2006 honda civic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i've tried replacing the keyfob battery thinking maybe that was the issue since it wouldn't work to unlock/lock the car either
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no, the green key light flashes and that's about it...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The problem you are describing is caused by a know concern and unfortunately its will require going to your dealer. Honda has released a service bulletin dealing with this problem and the proper repair for it. I have enclosed the bulletin in the link below for your review. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.