Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

It's starts hard sometimes. I had things tested and there is

Customer Question

It's starts hard sometimes. I had things tested and there is a bad connection or bad cables. Not battery, alternator, or motor.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes.
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 06 crv
JA: What year is your Honda?
Customer: 06
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can. But if the starter is under the intake manifold I might be out of my league.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 21 years experience repairing strictly Honda vehicles.

When it starts hard what does the starter do? Turn slow or sound labored? Can you explain in detail what happens please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Slow turn. Labored. Sometimes no issues.

Thanks for the reply and information. I have seen a high failure rate for this starter design. It has been a problem since it came out. I have replaced over a dozen myself and helped at least that many customers here online. They fail by turning over slow(labored), start to work then quit or make no noise at all and sometimes work perfect. The bummer is it's under the intake manifold. The manifold needs to come off to get to the starter. I would avoid cheap reman starters otherwise you will be doing it again. Make sure the new starter has a good warranty or a lifetime warranty. If the battery tests OK and the cables are good the solution will be to replace the starter. If you want instructions for testing it just ask. It will need to be tested when it won't start.

Please click on the rating scale OK, Good, or Excellent. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please at least say you are happy or satisfied. This is how I get paid by the site for my time so it's very important.

Thank you,

~Cliff