Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.

I have a 90 Accord and it has an ongoing issue with Stalin

Customer Question

I have a 90 Accord and it has an ongoing issue with Stalin when I put it in gear or when I come to a stop. Once it begins to stall when I try to start it again it runs for about 5 to 7 Seconds and stalls. I have swap distributors and sprayed carburetor cleaner into the intake and it remained running as I spray the cleaner inside the intake. This led me to believe that it was a fuel issue, but this morning when I started it it ran for 15 minutes straight without stopping but as soon as I put it in gear and went about three hundred meters and up a hill when I got to the top of the hill it stalled out . I restarted it and it died about 5 seconds after I restarted it. Also as I mentioned earlier it stalls out every time I put it in gear. Now th
JA: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?
Customer: The check engine light is not on and I verified that it works every time I turn the ignition on and I look for it to make sure that it's still operational. In the morning when you first Crank It Up the car idles fine. All of these problems begin to happen when I put the car in gear and I think it has something to do with the transmission because it will only go into reverse and will not go into D3 D4 2 but it will go into 1 and when it goes into 1 when I come to a stop it stalls I quickly crank it up again to try and drive it and it begins to stall when I drive when it's idling and when I'm coming to a stop
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: It is a 1990 Honda Accord ex VIN number 1hgcb7666la165742
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have swap distributors and spray carburetor cleaner into the intake which kept it running so I thought it was a fuel issue but this morning it idled 415 minutes straight without stopping like I said all my problems start happening when I put the car in drive and and I don't have d4 d3 2 just one in reverse. I have also tested the torque converter clutch solenoid apply power to both terminals and ohmed both terminals out and everything checks out fine
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Yes the car has been sitting for awhile the transmission was fine before I let it set but now it only has reverse and first gear and I'm thinking maybe the torque converter clutch may be causing this issue or maybe a bad ground are a vacuum leak at the brake booster
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I want to add that the shift interlock switch doesn't work as well I need to insert my key to manually shift the shifter knob
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any ideas yet?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Stalls out when warmed up, put in gear and gas pressed
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If it will run with added fuel then you need to start first with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monito the fuel pressure when the stalling is occurring. Normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 35 to 37 PSI . Anything less then 35 PSI would indicate a fuel pump concern. Before you assume its a transmission problem, lets get the fuel pressure checked and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I'll test it in the morning and let you know what happens. Thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Okay, Im here if you need me.