rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Knocking noise come from engine when hot : Idleing : Airwave

Customer Question

Knocking noise come from engine when hot
JA: How would you describe the sound? Does it happen more when you're braking? Shifting gears?
Customer: Idleing
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: Airwave 2006
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When I had new battery fitted was told
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Well,sounds like the chain
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

Some testing needs to be done first, such as oil pressure to see if enough oil is being shot through the system. They also may need to pull the front engine cover and check for slack in the timing mechanism.

Thanks, Ron