justinsbg
justinsbg, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified in Brakes, Electrical, HVAC, and Engine Performance. Currently a lead diagnostic Technician.
27674784

Accord 07 blowing hot air instead of cold air : I've 100,000

Customer Question

Accord 07 blowing hot air instead of cold air
JA: How long has this been an issue? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: I've 100,000 and just started happening
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When the weather is overcast the cold air will come out but varies
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I do not know if I can afford what it will cost
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: K
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: Air is blowing strong
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 8 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. Please open the hood and start the engine. Press the a/c switch ON and then check to see if both radiator cooling fans turn on when the a/c switch is pressed on. Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Going out to start the car

okay. If I don't respond back immediately just be patient. I will respond back shortly

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hello

Okay, the fans coming on indicates that there is enough refrigerant pressure for the system to operate. Now look down at the compressor. On the front of the compressor is the clutch plate. When the compressor is engaged the clutch plate will be spinning. When it's not engaged the clutch plate will not be spinning. Turn the a/c switch OFF and then ON and take note each time of the front of the compressor. See if you can tell if the clutch plate is engaging and spinning when the a/c switch is pressed ON, and then when it's not spinning when the a/c switch is OFF.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Looking for the clutch plate
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where is it located
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just sounds like it goes off and on as I turn on and off the ac
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You there Justin?

I had to step out. Sorry for the delay. So you can hear a click from the compressor when you press the a/c switch ON?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Alright, I am back for the day. Reminder, I have not been paid at this point and won't be until I receive a positive rating from you. At that point I will receive a portion of what you've already paid Just Answer.

If the compressor is turning on, and both cooling fans are running this suggests that the system is operating as it should, but the refrigerant pressures are probably low, indicating a leak. I would go by somewhere like Advance Auto and purchase a recharge kit with some UV dye. You can put some refrigerant in the system along with some dye. This will get the system cooling again, and when it leaks out to the point of low cooling the leak will be visible due to the UV dye. You can purchase some UV glasses for pretty cheap and look for leaks with the glasses on. This is where I would start with this vehicle. I am a Honda only service technician and deal with these cars everyday. If you have any more questions about this just let me know.

You can go ahead and rate me positively. Don't worry, there aren't additional charges for posting to this thread after you rate so we can keep chatting. Thanks

any news here?