Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet

Help I'm on the side of the road distance solo travel. Had

Customer Question

Help I'm on the side of the road long distance solo travel. Had to replace battery. Finally on road again and radio auto theft requiring code. My number was###-##-####when pushing 1 and 6. I was given a code to resolve this of 15313 but when I enter by pushing the buttons, the number pushing simply overload the "enter code" digits/letters and then resulted in code e error. Help. By side of road losing time and risking life! Thanks!
JA: Let's get those codes to the mechanic so you two can figure this issue out ASAP. How many miles are on the car?
Customer: To what mechanic?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I already was given the code to do so
JA: Great! What have you tried so far? Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Yes sure. Thanks. I first got the following number by holding down 1 and 6 as instructed:###-##-#### That was then called in and I was give. A code of 15313. The problem was then in trying to enter the 15313 numbers. I think I may just need directions of exactly what to hold and when
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: No. Very recently all checked and fine. Had battery replacement this morning as mentioned earlier which resulted in radio needing code
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

What year and model is your Honda?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2008 crv
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

That year model should only require a 4 digit code. Can you try dropping the first or last digit to see if it will work? Like 5313 or 1531?

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Try to get the serial number again to make sure it is correct, it should be 8 digits and it looks like you have 9.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ON.
  2. Turn ON the device and confirm that the display reads COdE. If you don’t see this message, pull the backup fuse for 1 minute, and then go back to step 1.
  3. Turn OFF the device.
  4. Press and hold the 1 and 6 radio preset buttons, and turn ON the device.
  5. The display toggles between two screens: U with the first 4 digits of the serial number (U2200 for example,)
  6. And L with the last 4 digits of the serial number (L0055 for example.)
  7. Ignore the U and L and record all 8 digits
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Happily willing to try but first can you please take me through The specific steps needed to do this. For example said the radio be off? Do I hold down any keys? How do I make the words error code E go away? How will I know when it's time to enter the attempted four digit code?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

If you have the Error message you will need to disconnect the battery to get the error to clear so you can try entering the code again.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

After you disconnect the battery for about 1 minute and then reconnect it the radio should show COdE on the display if you try to turn it on.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Also, check your glovebox for stickers with a 4 digit number on them. A lot of dealers will put the unlock code in there somewhere.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Really hoping I can do this without undoing battery as on side of highway alone...Initial number that comes up, as in step 5, above, is 15580295.But there is no U or L and no toggling
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was told that my unlock code is 15313. No?
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Ok, that looks like a good serial number. Do you have the Vin? I could check what honda shows as the correct unlock code.

If you don't want to remove the battery you could remove the #17 fuse from the under hood fuse box.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is such a pain and costing me so much $$$. Nobody is going to steal a radio anymore!!! Where is this magical fuse box?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks for checking VIN # *****
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

The fuse box is in the engine compartment on the driver's side fender. The lid will have a diagram that shows which fuse is #17. It should be labeled "audio" or "sound", or maybe "radio".

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, I can't stop to open hood just yet. But for when I do, and finger the help I paid for, would you mind please sending exact instruction thT come after "undo fuse #17"? Thank you. Just specific steps would be helpful. Like, is engine on or off at each step? All the way or only in "start"? And, do I erase the letters offering instructions, like "enter code" and how? Are digital messages to be deleted before punching in code?? Etc. many thanks!
Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry for the delay. Just Answer was acting up.

Turn the engine off before pulling the fuse. After you pull the fuse for about 1 minute reinstall it and then get back in the car and turn the key to the on position. The radio may display COdE immediately once the key is turned on, but most likely you will have to turn it on first. Once you turn it on press the numbers 1,5,3,1,3 (I looked up the code and it is correct- not sure why my honda manual says it should be 4 digits) one at a time. On the last digit (3) it should unlock and start working normally.

Here is a video a guy make on YouTube showing how it's done. The radio may not be exactly the same but it should be similar enough to see how it's done:

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Good morning,

Do you need additional help with this vehicle or did you get it sorted out?

Please don't forget to rate.

Expert:  Jared D replied 4 months ago.

Please let me know if you need additional help with this.