Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.
7276279

My sliding door on a 2004 Odyssey will not open anymore. We

Customer Question

My sliding door on a 2004 Odyssey will not open anymore. We already replaced actuator and that was not it. If we manually unlock it, it locks itself back and will beep if you try to do the power buttons to open it. It beeps with the sound it makes when it is locked. Do we need to replace the lock assembly now?
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you can tell me which door you have the problem with I will try and help you. If your dealing with the left door , there is a service bulletin for this. I have enclosed it in the link below. Have a look at it and see if it applies. If not post back with which door and we can work from there.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Left%20door%20Jun%2012.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you! It is the left door. My husband is checking the fuse again as he did that once already. He is going to replace it now to be sure. If it's not that, what is the T103 connection on the battery terminal? We have googled it and can't find what you mean by that. Can you explain briefly what or where to fid the T103 connection? Thanks again!!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We switched the fuse already and it's not that. We disconnected the positive side of the battery for 5 minutes and re connected it but that didn't work either. However, I do know my battery is only cranking at 500, and I was recently told to replace it. Not sure if that would effect it or not. We are not sure what the T103 is though that is in the service bulletin. Lastly, just to clarify, we don't hear the lock engaging or anything when we hit the power button to open it. For example, when the doors are locked and we click the power for the right door which is working, the lock makes a click sound like the lock is engaging and then 3 beeps to let us know it's locked. When we try to open the left door which is not working, there is no sound made by the lock at all and only 3 beeps are heard. I hope that helps you better. Thanks again!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also, am I still only being charged $23 total for this or do I get charged every time we talk back and forth? Thanks!
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

See the location of the T103 connector in the link below. Its #27 on the list.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/T103%20Jun%2012.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay thanks but that is not the problem either. that appears to be the positive post on the battery area. All the fuses are good and the battery hook ups are all tight and testing good on connection and cold cranks. That being said, we have replaced the actuator already. What would be next? To make sure we are on the same page, we don't hear the lock engaging or anything when we hit the power button to open it or unlock it. If we manually unlock it then it quickly goes back into the lock position. It will not stay unlocked. When the doors are locked and we click the power for the right door which is working, the lock makes a click sound like the lock is engaging and then 3 beeps to let us know it's locked. When we try to open the left door which is not working, there is no sound made by the lock at all and only 3 beeps are heard. We are trying to avoid replacing everything in there as all the rest of the parts are getting more expensive. What does this sound like to you? Thanks!
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

You may have a bad lock on the door, the next step would be to check to see if you are getting the lock and unlock signal at the lock from the switch. See the wiring diagram for the circuit in the link below for reference.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Lock%20Jun%2013.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks. What type of instrument do I need to check that signal?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

You can use a 12 volt test light or a volt meter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank u! Will test it after work today.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Okay, Thank you as well.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok, looked at the wiring diagram and we took it out to the van. We cannot tell what wires you are wanting us to test. When we hit unlock on the button or keychain there is no sound as if it's engaging but we do hear the 3 beeps. If we manually unlock it, we have to pull it hard and hold it a long time for it to stay in the unlocked position. Even with it manually unlocked though, the power door still will not open. Also, while looking at the wires from the diagram, my husband unplugged the wire harness connected to the control module at the bottom of the door. When he plugged it back in, it automatically locked the door again. Not sure if that helps you or if we still need to test the wires. If so, can you describe which wires we are tesing? We did not understand your note 'at the lock from the switch'. The diagram shows several switches and we don't know which one you are referring too.
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately this problem is going to require some hands on testing and I am not able to do that from here. With out checking the signal from the switch to the lock there is no way of know what has failed. I can open the post back up for you and perhaps someone has something different to offer. Let me know.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
You refer to the 'switch to lock' wires needing to be tested. We can do that but we need clarification which ones those are on the diagram you sent. There are several places on the diagram that are called 'switches' and no place labeled 'lock'. So, we cannot see which wire you are referring to when you say 'switch to lock'. Can you highlight on the pdf diagram which one you want us to test or tell us in the exact words used on the diagram so we can see exactly which wire you are referring to? Thanks!
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Both are clearly marked at the lock and the switch as well as the colors of the wires in the circuit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I see 5 switches on the diagram: Main switch, Power sliding door switch, Left junction switch, left remote control switch/release motor (in left sliding door), and Left sliding door handle switch. Which switch is the one you are referring to?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The release motor switch is the one your likely have a problem with . I would start with that one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, thank you. Sorry about the confusion. We will start with that one this evening when my husband gets home and see. I am sure my husband knows, but figure I would ask anyhow, when using the volt tester on these wires to check for a signal, does the van have to be on or do we have to hit the power sliding door button while checking or should there be a signal even when the van is off or the button is not being pushed?
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

The van dose not need to be on but the key dose. Your check key n voltage and yes you will be using the switch checking the voltage while pushing the switch.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Okay, thank you again. Sorry for the dumb question but was just double checking. I will tell my husband to check that switch tonight. Thanks again!
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Your very welcome and thank you as well.