Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

AC stopped working in my 2003 Honda Element. Just hot air

Customer Question

AC stopped working in my 2003 Honda Element. Just hot air blowing. It's 99 degrees here today so I need help!
JA: How is the air flow? Have you checked the hoses?
Customer: Air flow is fine. Strong at the highest level. I have not checked the hoses. Not sure exactly what to check there. I haven't done anything with the AC before on this car.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: That would be great! (I am pretty handy but sometimes don't know where to start).
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: It has 170,000 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 5 months ago.

Welcome,

I have been a professional master mechanic for over 35 years and am happy to help you with this.

It may just be low on refrigerant. There is a low pressure switch that prevents the AC compressor from coming on when its low on charge.

The first thing you are going to have to do is get a set of AC gauges and connect them and see what the pressures are. Can you go to a parts store like autozone? They have them to loan for free.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have an autozone near me. When we called and asked if they tested freon, they said they "they only build the kits". Which I thought was weird but maybe we weren't asking the right thing.

They dont test it for you but they have the gauges so that you can test it yourself if you are comfortable with that. it is a bit complicated but if you had the gauges connected and check the pressures it will tell us if its low. Otherwise you will need for a shop to test the AC pressures for you.

Call them ans ask them if they have a loaner set of gauges if you want to do the work yourself and let me know.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
They said we could buy it and then return it. LOL. So we will go do that.

Yeah, thats what they usually say but they will refund your bucks.

Be sure to get a couple of cans of charge while you are there. if we dont need them you can return them.

take your time and let me know when you are ready.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It may be tomorrow before we can actually get up there.

Thats fine. I get an email when you reply so i can get right back to you.