Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

Timing belt - there's a slot on the tensioner and apparently

Customer Question

Timing belt - there's a slot on the tensioner and apparently a threded hole that matches - can't figure out what typeof bolt to install
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any odd squeaking noises?
Customer: 176K - there are a lot of squeaks from multiple location it's a 98
JA: What is the model/year of your Honda?
Customer: 1998 2.3L Odessey LX
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm in progress - all parts except for that bolt are on-hand
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: There was no bolt there when it was disasembled
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 21 years experience repairing strictly Honda vehicles.

The slot in the tensioner is used during new engine assembly to hold it in a slack position before the timing belt is installed. It looks like there should be a bolt there but in fact one is not required. The tensioner 14mm hold down nut is all that is required. See image for the slot I am referring to.

Just a friendly reminder to click on the rating scale OK, Good, or Excellent. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please at least say you are happy or satisfied. This is how I get paid by the site for my time so it's very important.

Thank you,

~Cliff