Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., master tech.
Experience:  A.S.E. Master technician. Over 20 years working on import & domestic. Owner/operator of an auto shop
17920890

My Honda CRV 2000 has a rattle in the tailgate. How do I

Customer Question

My Honda CRV 2000 has a rattle in the tailgate. How do I take off the plastic cover to see the works
JA: Which part of the car is the noise coming from? Would you describe the noise as frequent or constant?
Customer: Sounds like clicking in the door which is constant-sometimes I can get noise to stop by reclosing tailgate
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: reached inside an oiled all visible parts of opening mechanism
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Runs beautifully-just this rattle is annoying
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 5 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So after you remove the screws from the handle you have to pry behind the plastic and it will pop off. There are several little plastic clips that just pop out of the holes.Let me know if this helps.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I must be thick-no door handle with fastening bolts visible just an opening drawer type handle inset in the tailgate.
No. Sorry not thick at all. Sorry there should be two plastic filler plugs. You have to pry out and there should be a screw behind ea.
They had a couple of different styles. The diagram is just generic. But if you want to take a pic of the door cover/trim and post it I can be more specific for you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The drawer type handle has fastening bolts on the INSIDE of the tailgate which is why I need to take off the cover plastic which appears to be bolted as well as clipped in. I suspect that you are referring to USA model.-the uk model has this bar rather than a handle
Ok you are referring to the handle on the outside. Yes it does have bolts on the inside. And the bar on either side of it where it comes into the plastic trim/cover will be bolted as well. They do that becouse they know extra force will be applied on the handle/bar that everyone will grab.
However I didn't realize you were in the uk. Sorry I just saw that.
Usually the only bolts in the inside trim is for the inside handle/bar. Becouse people pull on it to close the door. Then everything else is clipped.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The opening bar and lock are all part of a separate cover plate about 12 inches by 10 inches fitted to the outside which is bolted on the inside with no bolts or other fastenings on the outside
Oh gotcha. I guess I will opt out and see if someone else can help with it that is familiar with the U.K. Model.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I think I will call it a day and go to Honda garage. Please reimburse costs