HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum, A Technician
Experience:  13 year honda platinum level
3827149

I purchased this 2004 civic months ago. Ran like carp.

Customer Question

I purchased this 2004 civic months ago. Ran like carp. Always gave code 2279. Changed plugs and ran better. Still 2279. Smoke machined it and saw light smoke inside cabin at brake booster. Changed it. Still gave 2279. Car jumped timing, previous owner didn't tighten tensioner when water pump done. Had the head rebuilt, and all new gaskets, o rings, and no leaks. Still gives 2279. I'm thinking iacv due to idle hunt and surge. No air leaks, smoke tested, ear test, and carb cleaner test. I'm doing research. And new pc.
JA: Have you checked the bulb? Could it be a faulty fuse?
Customer: I am a mechanic at work. Can clear the codes. Will come back in about 20-30 minutes of driving
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I should be able to. I did the head job myself after having a machine shop rebuild the head. Jumped timing and all the intake valves got bent
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: No vacuum leaks, all new gaskets, head, exhaust, intake, throttle body, intake to spacer plate, new o rings at injectors, new pcv valve, new brake booster, no leaks
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 6 months ago.

Hello Im Chris and I will assist you. Did you recheck the timing marks?

Expert:  Joshua Davenport replied 6 months ago.

Good evening. Have you checked the EVAP Canister Purge Valve? If the valve is bad it will allow the engine to pull excess gas fumes and air into the intake causing a lean condition. The valve can be checked by checking for vacuum on the canister side of the valve with the engine running and the purge valve electrical connector unplugged.