Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

2007 crv the ac compressor cycle on and off very rapidly

Customer Question

2007 crv
the ac compressor cycle on and off very rapidly .even if the ac is turn off and the interior is off
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 21 years experience repairing strictly Honda vehicles.

The only thing that can make the compressor work or cycle with the A/C off and engine off is a sticking compressor relay. It's in the under-hood fuse box, the under side of the fuse box lid indicates it's position with a snow flake. It's a dealer only(part) as far as I am aware. Power goes to this relay all of the time so if it's bad you can have your problem.

Just a friendly reminder to click on the rating scale OK, Good, Excellent or accept my advice. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please let me know why so I can make sure you are happy. Follow-ups after rating are free.
Thank you,

~Cliff ~Honda-Man

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
i check the relays all in working order .when I pull the ac relay the compressor stop cycling

Thanks for that information. If you pull it and it stops either it's stuck on or the control for the relay is on when it shouldn't be. The relay is controlled by the engine control module or PCM. I would try unplugging the PCM connector to see if the compressor clutch shuts off?

If it shuts off the PCM could be bad. If it stays on the red wire is grounded somewhere.

Please remember to rate. Thank you,

~Cliff

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
which plug do I unplug on pcm

Connector A(see image).

Thanks,

Cliff

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok .one of the relay connector is live with ignition on and dead with the ignition off .a other one is on with plug on or off
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
plug A on or off

One relay socket plug is key on power and the o ther is hot all the time. With plug A unplugged the compressor clutch should not be on.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
how can tell if the compressor is on with the plug A unplug as the car will not start

Can you hear it clicking? If it's staying on or cycling when you unplug it it should click off. Watch it while someone unplugs the plug.

you said it was on when the car was off??

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the ac compressor is cycling on and off like rapid fire with the ac control and fan control on the off position with the engine running
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
cycling on and off with motor running .I don t thing it is engage with the engine off

You said before it was on when "even if the ac is turn off and the interior is off " Interior is that the ignition turned off? The compressoe normally runs when the mode is in defrost and floor/defrost settings. It helps defrost the windshield.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
cycle on and off every second for ten second at the time .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
doing it on regular dash vent sitting

If it's just cycling too fast either it's low on refrigerant or the evaporator temp sensor is bad.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
interior fan off
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
why would start cycling with the ac off .

Sorry but I am out of ideas. I am going to opt out. Please don't reply to me just wait for the next expert.

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 7 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you , I can see another expert here tried to help you obviously it did not work out , I ran into a situation like that .First can you tell me if the radio & a/c control unit is one piece unit in the middle dash , if possible can you send me a picture of it , you uploaded here and I will see it .I also need to know any accessories stereo ,master marked , God unit accessories installed ?Keep in mind this is a complicated electrical issue and a 25 yrs experienced expert tech opt out cause he ran out of ideas , so work with me on this since we have to be patient and hopefully we can resolve this problem you having .Let me knowI will be online all week from 9 am to 12pm daily .
Or the radio is spread unit and you have controls like the one in the picture I sent you
Thank You *****
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hey chad .I appreciate the help....
let me start from the beginning ,
last year I have replace the ac compressor without any issues.
last week I replace the power steering pump because of a leak .power steering fluid went everywhere so I ran the car to the carwash ,wash the engine compartment ,drove the car home and drove it the next day no issues .
on my way home from work I notice the ac clutch clicking on and off rapidly not really cycling .so I turn the ac off and made sure the defrost wasn t on ,the clutch engage and disengage more intensly .
I look at the ac relay .I can hear it clicking and feel it when my finger is on it .I swap relays around same thing .if I remove the relay the clutch quit clicking .
the radiator cooling fans [both] come on as soon as the ignition key is on even the engine is cold and the ac control are on the off position
when you start the car it takes 4 seconds for ac clutch to engage and it will click on and off very fast maybe 10 times in a row and will stay engage for 30 seconds and will start a other cycle of fast clicking on and off .
it does it more intensly with the ac off .
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the ac control looks like the picture
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
here is a picture
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
no add on .all stock

you welcome sir

ok great , I m working on it now for , you I will reply shortly

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
hey chad . did you come up with something

yes i did you need a new igntion switch the electrical part is bad .

now that is the best i can come up with as far as not being next to it

good luck

Hope I was helpfull to you

A Positive rating is Much Aprecciated

This Post Will Stay Open Even after You Rate Me For You To Come Back And Ask Me Anything Follow Up Questions You May have On This Issue.

Thank You

Chad Farhat ( aka -Customer )

2007 Honda Truck CR-V 2WD L4-2.4L Save Article Select Print Option Complete Article Text Only Image(s) Only ReplacementSRS components are located in this area. Review the SRS component locations and precautions and procedures before performing repairs or servicing.1. Make sure you have anti-theft codes for the audio and navigation system. If equipped with XM radio, write down the XM radio presets.
2. Turn the ignition switch OFF, and disconnect the negative battery cable.
3. Remove the driver's dashboard lower cover and the steering column covers.Zoom and Print Options 4. Disconnect the 7P connector (A) from the ignition switch (B).5. Remove the two screws and the ignition switch.6. Install the ignition switch in the reverse order of removal.7. After reconnecting the battery, enter the audio and navigation system anti-theft codes, and set the clock. If equipped with XM radio, enter the XM radio presets. © 2016 ALLDATA, LLC. All Rights Reserved. Terms of Use (Version 2.0.13792)

the a/c module in the dash will be my next step, but be honest with you , I would want to check the electrical on both parts the swicth & the a/c module in dash

but you need a tech with wiring diagrams and few hours

chad (aka-Jhook1398)