Technicaldan, Technician
Experience:  Accredited

The key indicator light keeps flashing when I try to start

Customer Question

The green key indicator light keeps flashing when I try to start my 2008 Civic.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: I do not
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the Honda Mechanic to figure that out. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I just had a new key programmed because I lost my old one. It has been working fine for 2 weeks.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, just continuously tried to start it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Technicaldan replied 4 months ago.

If the green key light is flashing, then there is a fault with the immobiliser system or key.

I have known a few to quite literally lose their coding and need the key reprogramming, this usually involved Honda diagnostic system and obtaining a pcm release code off maris (security code from Honda database using vin number).

I fear that there is not a lot you will be able to do without diagnosic equipment unfortunately as you would at least need to know the fault code and either a main dealer or a key programmer to do the job.