Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech 34 years.
7276279

My 2013 Honda CRV was stolen and recovered by the police

Customer Question

My 2013 Honda CRV was stolen and recovered by the police after a high speed chase. My insurance company is now getting estimates for the repairs and seems to be totally downplaying the potential for mechanical problems. The car was crashed into a curb and the repair estimate includes fixing the engine cradle and suspension plus dents/scratches all over the car. This estimate was provided by the auto body repair shop (recommended by my insurance company), which doesn't give me confidence that they really know what's wrong mechanically. I can take my car to any shop I choose for estimates and repairs. How do I find a shop that isn't in my insurance company's pocket and will do a thorough examination\estimate? I live in Berkeley CA.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Ron replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

If it was hit hard enough to bend the engine cradle they really should consider totaling the car, once these repairs have been done you are likely going to end up with a branded title which is going to make the car very hard to sell in the future. I would sure seeks a least 2 more estimates and I would not mention to the shops doing them who you insurance company is and that way they are not likely going to be connected. From the sound of the amount of damage you likely should insist on them totaling the car and getting 2 more estimates will more then likely indicate its a total as well.