Honda-Man
Honda-Man, Honda Mechanic
Experience:  I have an Associates Degree in Automotive. 10 Years experience on all makes and models. 20 Years Honda only including factory training. Over 30 years total.
75670266

My 1994 Honda Accord ex cranks 5 seconds and kills. I saw

Customer Question

Hi.
JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My 1994 Honda Accord ex cranks for about 5 seconds and kills. I saw white smoke come from the intake manifold and tail pipe.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 300,00 plus miles. Have a slight oil leak and I have been losing a little coolant.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing so far. After a while it finally started as if nothing was wrong. Then a day later the same thing.
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: No.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Honda-Man replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for taking time to ask your Honda question on JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** online handle is Honda-Man I will be assisting you. I have over 21 years experience repairing strictly Honda vehicles.

I will begin by saying I have experienced your problem first hand many times. When a head gasket leaks coolant into one or more combustion chambers it will cause hard starting or a no-start condition. Usually this is worse after it sits for a while. The more coolant that seeps into the combustion chamber(s) the worse the condition will be. This can be intermittent, there one day then gone the next. If you are loosing coolant and seeing white smoke the head gasket is leaking and will need to be replaced. The cylinder head should be inspected for cracks and warpage before reinstalling it. I have heard of some limited success using head gasket sealers. They can cause other problems like restricting heater cores, radiators and thermostats. Sorry for the bad news but at least now you have an idea what to do.

Just a friendly reminder to click on the rating scale OK, Good, Excellent or accept my advice. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required. If for any reason you can't rate now please let me know why so I can make sure you are happy. Follow-ups after rating are free.
Thank you,

~Cliff ~Honda-Man