Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase master tech
19513769

2005 accord ex 176k car drives smooth until over 60mph them

Customer Question

2005 accord ex 176k car drives smooth until over 60mph them it stutters and vibrates
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: as i said before car drives perfectly under 60mph but it stutters badly over that
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: oil pressure switch ,clean throttle body
JA: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?
Customer: yes check engine did come on,not sure how old the oil pump is
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: i can't think of anything off the bat
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

do you know what codes or code is set in the computers history or currently set in the computer ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

if you are near a Firestone or Pep boys can you swing by and they will read the codes set for free for you the odds are there will be a P300 range code set

those are misfire codes this should tell us which cylinder is misfiring once we know that we will either have a bad spark plug or coil or a fuel injector issue causing this problem

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i am not close to any pep boys, i believe the code we got earlier was p2646 and we changed the oil pressure switch
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

that code is a Vtech oil issue

this here has to be followed to find the issue

i would strongly recommend a shop do this for you

DTC P2646: VTEC Oil Pressure Switch Circuit Low Voltage

Special Tools Required

• Pressure gauge adapter 07NAJ-P07010A
  • A/T low pressure gauge w/panel 07406-0070300
  • A/T pressure hose 07406-0020201
  • A/T pressure hose, 2,210 mm 07MAJ-PY4011A
  • A/T pressure adapter 07MAJ-PY40120
  • Oil pressure hose 07ZAJ-S5A0200
  1. Check the engine oil level.

Is the level OK?

YES - Go to step 2.

NO - Adjust the engine oil to the proper level, then go to step 20.

1. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  2. Clear the DTC with the HDS.
  3. Do the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS.

Is the result OK?

YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. Check for poor connections or loose terminals at the VTEC oil pressure switch, the VTEC solenoid valve and the ECM/PCM.

NO - Go to step 5.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
  2. Disconnect the VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector.
  3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  4. Check the VTEC PRES SW in the DATA LIST with the HDS.

Is ON indicated?

YES - Go to step 14.

NO - Go to step 9.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
  1. Remove the VTEC oil pressure switch (A) and install the special tools as shown, then install the VTEC oil pressure switch to the oil pressure gauge adapter (B).
  2. Start the engine.
  4. Check the oil pressure.

Does the oil pressure increase to at least 392 kPa (4.0 kgf/sq.cm, 56.9 psi) ?

YES - Replace the VTEC oil pressure switch, then go to step 21.

NO - Inspect the VTEC system. If it is OK. Replace the VTEC solenoid valve, then go to step 21.

1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
  2. Jump the SCS line with the HDS.
  3. Disconnect the VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector.
  4. Disconnect ECM/PCM connector E (31P).
  1. Check for continuity between ECM/PCM connector terminal E23 and body ground.

Is there continuity?

YES - Repair short in the wire between the ECM/PCM (E23) and the VTEC oil pressure switch, then go to step 19.

NO - Go to step 27.

1. Reconnect the VTEC oil pressure switch 2P connector.
  2. Reconnect ECM/PCM connector E (31P).
  3. Turn the ignition switch ON (II).
  4. Reset the ECM/PCM with the HDS.
  5. Do the ECM/PCM idle learn procedure.
  6. Do the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS.
  7. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS.

Are any Temporary DTCs or DTCs indicated?

YES - If DTC P2646 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the VTEC oil pressure switch, the VTEC solenoid valve, and the ECM/PCM, then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.

NO - Go to step 26.

1. Monitor the OBD STATUS for DTC P2646 in the DTCs MENU with the HDS.

Does the screen indicate PASSED?

YES - Troubleshooting is complete.

NO - If the screen indicates FAILED, go to step 1 and recheck. If the screen indicates NOT COMPLETED, go to step 24 and recheck.

1. Update the ECM/PCM if it does not have the latest software, or substitute a known-good ECM/PCM.
  2. Do the VTEC TEST in the INSPECTION MENU with the HDS.
  3. Check for Temporary DTCs or DTCs with the HDS.

YES - If DTC P2646 is indicated, check for poor connections or loose terminals at the VTEC oil pressure switch, the VTEC solenoid valve, and the ECM/PCM then go to step 1. If any other Temporary DTCs or DTCs are indicated, go to the indicated DTC's troubleshooting.

NO - If the ECM/PCM was updated, troubleshooting is completed. If the ECM/PCM was substituted, replace the original ECM/PCM.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

you can always get me back through this post for free with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

how are you making out ?