mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

My honda hrv 2004 wont move from park. I have to use the key

Customer Question

My honda hrv 2004 wont move from park. I have to use the key by the gear put it on neutral and then start the car. I have changed the break switch and still have the problem
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The problem is about 3 months now
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I took it to the honda dealer and they cant seem to find the problem so i am exploring other options to see how i can solve it
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: Im not a mechanic
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  justinsbg replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help. I am heading to work where I will have access to service information and will go over the wiring schematics. I will respond back shortly

Can you please verify that the brake lights work?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The brake lights work

this is a CRV and not a HRV correct?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
HRV
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.

when you put the vehicle in nuetral are you able to shift then?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

then the solenoid inside the shifter assembly has gone bad. honda only sells this as the entire shifter assembly. you may be able to find a used one on car-part.com and have it shipped to you.

if that will be all i would appreciate if you took a moment to leave me a rating.