Andrew Martin
Andrew Martin,
Experience:  Technician at Wile Hyundai
92331225

Hv 2006 pilot. Check fuel cap message came on,,,i re

Customer Question

Hello, hv 2006 pilot. Check fuel cap message came on,,,i re tightened the fuel cap and the message went away. Now, the check engine light came on. Do you think it's related ?
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Depends on what it is. Is there a way to get he codes without going to the dealer ?
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: Nope. Maintenance has been kept up on the car. Has this issue before and it turned out to be the cartilage converter. It had to be changed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 6 months ago.

It definitely could be related. If the gas cap is loose the car will put out a P0455 Large EVAP Leak error code. If you just ignore the light after you tighten the cap, it should go out after a few drive cycles, (drive cycle being; key on, start vehicle, drive several miles to warm the vehicle up, then several miles after its warmed up then parking and turning the vehicle off) Either that or you can go to a dealership or another shop and they can scan it and clear the code for you if it is indeed that related code. I would imagine it is, as I have seen this countless times in my career. Good luck!

If my answer has helped you, please help me by rating or accepting my answer. This does not cost you any more, it just allows me to be credited for my work. You can always ask follow up questions after rating or accepting. Thank you.