Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

Seems to be idling gher while driving : let me check :

Customer Question

seems to be idling higher while driving
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: let me check
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: recently my Honda Element is running at higher RPMs will driving .. should I be concerned?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Honda Mechanic should be aware of about your Honda?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Element has 130k miles .. maint req light was flashing .. just started, maybe a week ..
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
4 cyl VTEC
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks .. Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 4 months ago.

In allot of cases this can be due to a vacuum leak on the engine itself with a loose vacuum hose or a damaged hose or gasket.This would have to be checked/tested to see if this is the cause here for sure and is usually best done by a repair facility.

If the check engine light has come on it is a good idea to have the fault codes checked to see what codes are set as this will help locate the fault here.Most shops or a dealer can check these codes and in some cases places like Auto Zone or another local parts store might be able to do this at no charge to you.

I have also seen where the throttle body can become gummed up with carbon needing cleaned that will cause this as well or a faulty idle control motor.

These would need to be checked into to locate and repair this fault.I do recommend having this looked into as soon as you can.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete