rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Went in emissions test - failed. I have the product codes. :

Customer Question

went in for an emissions test - failed. I have the product codes.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Honda. The Honda Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: they are P1456 and P1457, which i beleive is the check engine light and a small leak in the vap evap
JA: Diagnosing the correct check engine code is the key to getting a quick fix. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with this type of thing. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
JA: Huh?
Customer: not sure if i'm able to
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Honda Mechanic should know about your Honda?
Customer: feel like the light has come on sometimes and I went and got on oil change and the issue went away
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: Am I going to get any more information from you?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Honda Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Honda
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in the auto repair business with my own shops since 1975 and also teach
automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
It's possible that the gas cap is at fault, and it's cheap enough to replace as well. BUT, the EVAP system will need to be tested with a smoke machine if that doesn't fix it.

Thanks, Ron